Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 04:53:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Month Will David Magee Wake Up And Smell The Money  (Voting closed: February 22, 2011, 02:43:09 PM)
MAY 2011 - 2 (13.3%)
JUNE 2011 - 5 (33.3%)
JULY 2011 - 4 (26.7%)
AUGUST 2011 - 1 (6.7%)
SEPTEMBER 2011 - 1 (6.7%)
NEVER - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Magee  (Read 3590 times)
FILLYNATION

« on: February 15, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

With Illinois harness racing reaching an all time low . Purses dwindling and no ISOBA money left for 2011 will David Magee find his magic in Illinois . Seems to have a history of being motivated by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Seems to be getting $15.00 , $ 25.00 and 5% of purses so low doesn't wake him up .
David seems to hibernate these days
Report to moderator   Logged
honesthorseman

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

my crystal ball tells me he will be spending a lot of time in Indiana this summer so if you were counting on Dave Magee driving your 2 year old in the 5,000 stakes races in june you better start working on plan b
FILLYNATION

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »

My crystal ball tells me he will not get many drives in Indiana since most trainers drive . He may get Robert Taylor horses who are always on Green (ready to go )
Peter Wrenn rules the track in Indiana and Magee doesn't have enough trainers who would use him .
honesthorseman

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

Enough Illinois people bought Indiana breds so I think Dave will have plenty of drives
vaporize

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »

Enough Illinois people bought Indiana breds so I think Dave will have plenty of drives
and how many of those wonderful purchases will make it to the races this year. The following years they maybe racing for Il. type purses.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:08:33 AM »

David Magee can only get a few drives in Illinois these days . Why would trainers have much use for him in Indiana where lots of trainers drive . Magee gets drives from Robert Taylor and a couple here and there from others . Erv Miller will be in Indiana but i guessing Marcus miller will get those drives . Widger will be in Indiana and he has Illinois connections too . Who do you feel will need Magee to drive in Indiana .
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

I just wish people could have seen Dave in his prime, though Ive only been watching him for 20 years and he started before that. He has huge career numbers and is a hall of famer, but he is probably the most underrated driver (by the masses) to ever live. The guy was brilliant in his day, similar to Campbell he seemed to always be in the right spot and was a true student of the game and knew all the horses backwards and forwards. Ive heard he still spends time everyday watching replays of the horses he is driving and the horses he is racing against and that's what separates the talented drivers and the elite drivers, not only knowing your horse but knowing everybody else's too.

SHOWTIME!!!
FILLYNATION

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

David Magee is a class act that drivers from Illinois should have followed his behavior off the  track . He was a superb driver in his day and well respected by other great drivers . I do however feel he has built a reputation as a big purse driver in Illinois anyways . The man barely wins at a 10% rate until the races are for real money .Since Illinois purses have dropped like Chicago's temperature he seems uninterested on the track anyways . I think he is at the end of a great career and should sit out a few months each year . He then could come out of hibernation and maybe show some real efforts . The purses would be much better in summer and fall and that seems to get him going .
deadly breeze

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »

In the 80's he was one of the best. Dominated Sportsman's Maywood and Hawthorne. Still cringe everytime I see him win with Mr. Dalrae in the U.S. Pacing Championship. 5/1. Perfect steer. But back then...no simulcasting. Did not drive the 800 miles to bet him.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »

Dave Magee ruled the front end in the day but i think Tim Tetrick is as good or better then Magee was . What Tetrick has accomplished is amazing and he has done it at so many tracks against the finest in the world . Magee ruled Illinois and never really did much elsewhere . He is sorta in the mold of Bruce Ranger from Florida .
honesthorseman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

David Magee is a class act that drivers from Illinois should have followed his behavior off the  track . He was a superb driver in his day and well respected by other great drivers . I do however feel he has built a reputation as a big purse driver in Illinois anyways . The man barely wins at a 10% rate until the races are for real money .Since Illinois purses have dropped like Chicago's temperature he seems uninterested on the track anyways . I think he is at the end of a great career and should sit out a few months each year . He then could come out of hibernation and maybe show some real efforts . The purses would be much better in summer and fall and that seems to get him going .

well said

dave is the best
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »

I expect Dave to soon do a Walter Paisley.
That is
walk in the drivers room
look at the program
see he is down on a bunch of rats
pack up his driving colors
walk out the door to be seldom seen again.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Yonkers fan in KY

Yeah, Yonkers. 4 turns instead of 2. Deal me in!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:33:02 PM »

I expect Dave to soon do a Walter Paisley.
That is
walk in the drivers room
look at the program
see he is down on a bunch of rats
pack up his driving colors
walk out the door to be seldom seen again.
Could very well be so...hard to see him setting up somewhere else, and even harder to see him driving regularly for such low purses.   trotter

Just when you least expect it...just what you least expect.  The Pet Shop Boys
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »

Dave Magee ruled the front end in the day but i think Tim Tetrick is as good or better then Magee was . What Tetrick has accomplished is amazing and he has done it at so many tracks against the finest in the world . Magee ruled Illinois and never really did much elsewhere . He is sorta in the mold of Bruce Ranger from Florida .

In the words of honesthorseman:

Well said.

Dave was the best.  In Chicago.  But what Tetrick is doing, I don't think anyone ever did, at this stage.

What HH did not say, however, was that Dave was the best at knowing when to plunk down the cash & it was usually not on-track.  Oh, the people I knew who used to take his phone calls...

Okay, here comes the criticism from the naive.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Uncle Merf

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:20 AM »

Dave ruled Illinois when all of the best drivers were here.  Dave is one of the best all time.  That being said he's really not interested until the youngsters come out.  Every year he does nothing until stakes season starts.  It surprises me that he drives all the way to Balmoral in the winter time.  He should just run the hardware store until June and save the gas money.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »

Another night in hibernation for david magee
heading home

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

If Dave comes to Indiana I plan on using him quite a bit  trophy
vaporize

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »

Only a couple of drives tonight. 
I see that Brink is running those two trotters as an entry tonight.. Might be worth considering.
I think Allums has more drives than Magee.   head shake head shake head shake
In all fairness, three of his drives are on horses he trains. Two are for others.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

Loss of confidence by owners and trainers ...
vaporize

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »

Loss of confidence by owners and trainers ...
One of his drives is a horse for Boccia that he popped at double digit pay-offs.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »

heading home ,
                    How many horses do you own and train that race in Indiana ?
heading home

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »

as of now I have 41
vaporize

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »

Dave not driving tonight.  Can't blame him.
honesthorseman

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »

Dave is the best
FILLYNATION

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »

41 horses  beer 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: